Friday, September 24, 2010

Pregnancy Questions: Take 1

I'm pregnant, when do I need to stop sleeping on my stomach?
Most women can sleep on their tummy until about 20 weeks, but this depends a lot upon body type and comfort. When it becomes uncomfortable is about the time you should start sleeping on your back or side.

What about sleeping on my back?
Most are able to sleep on their back until 24-28 weeks. You should stop if you feel light-headed, dizzy, short of breath, or pressure in your chest. If you commonly find that you wake up on your back, tuck a pillow under one side of your "tush" to keep you from rolling flat on your back.

Can I travel during my pregnancy?
Yes, airlines and cruiselines may have restrictions during prenancy. You should check with their policies before booking your trip. Usually around 36 weeks I would prefer that you stay within 1-2 hours of the hospital. Travel before this point is fine, but the recommendation may change if there are complications that arise prior to 36 weeks.

Do I have to get an epidural?
No. This is your choice. If you are planning to have a "natural" delivery, I would recommend that you prepare. If you would further information on classes in the community or books that can assist you in natural childbirth, contact the office for more info.

When can I find out what I am having?
Your routine pregnancy ultrasound is around 20 weeks. If you would like to find out the sex of your baby before this time, you may have an optional "gender check" ultrasound as early as 16 weeks, your insurance will NOT cover this. The cost is $25 at the time of service.

Can I get my hair colored while I am pregnant?
Yes, make sure the area is well ventilated. This also applies for cleaning supplies and paint fumes.

Are there any diet restrictions?
No raw meats. This includes raw fish and shrimp. Fresh water salmon should not be consumed more than once a month. You should not eat more than one can of tuna a week. You may consume lunch meat, be sure that it has been refridgerated. If you are unsure, cook it prior to eating it.

No comments: